Saturday, April 3, 2010

April 3, 2010 - Jarvis Island

We are still at Jarvis Island and on the downhill slide towards the end of this portion of the cruise. The day started off nice with a little bit of rain. As the morning went I looked towards the island and saw what could have been a tent where the two Fish and Wildlife bird watchers were. I went into my stateroom for binoculars to take a look. I’ve seen the island before and never saw a structure like that. I could not make out what it was and if it was a tent, it had to be held to the ground with some real strong stakes with the way the wind was blowing. I looked to the end of the island and saw what a thousand tiny specks in the sky. It was birds flying in circles in flocks and looked as if forming a bird twister. You could not make it out with the naked eye but the binoculars made a difference.



After dinner I went out to the grated deck and saw porpoises swimming alongside the ship. They were jumping in and out of the water and the pod must have numbered a hundred. It was twilight when this was occurring and I cheered with each jump they made. It was raining at this time and with the wind blowing, it was actually cool. Imagine that along the equator where I turned up the thermostat when I returned to my stateroom. I would have taken photos and made a movie if it was daylight. I’ve seen porpoises do that before from the Galapagos and Samoa to the Big Island of Hawaii.

I always like it when I see other forms of life when I am out here. Seeing pods of whales or porpoises makes the trip worthwhile. When sailing in Alaska I would see Orcas swim in the opposite direction, gray whales breeching off Mexico or other types of marine mammals swim by the ship in droves along the equator and 170 west longitudes or on the 95 west longitude. You see the liquid desert everyday and know there is life underneath it but as much time I spend out here, it certainly provides little evidence of it, until you see it. The ancient mariners would mistake the grace of porpoises for that of a mermaid. To think that these marine mammals have a tie with humans that date back in the evolutionary calendar is remarkable.

Today was one of those long days where when it ended you wonder what you accomplished. It went by quickly and next thing you know ten hours is up. Tomorrow will likely be no different but I hope to make a dent in the task list before the turnover at the end of the month. I did make a dent but am down to subjects where I need external support from ashore. This is where the difficulty always remains. My laptop is staring to choke with Windows shutting itself down at inopportune times and convinces me more that my next personal computer will be a Mac.

It’s a bit rough out here tonight. We sailed away from Jarvis to make a dump run and the winds kicked up to where I am reminded with the roll of the swells that I am at sea. I am tired from a long day. I will take a shower and hit the rack.

I bid you goodnight from the Jarvis Island and the Equator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews