Saturday, August 3, 2013

I Was There, But Here Now, Not There Yet but Will Be Soon!


After a month off, I finally hit the seas again after a two day delay due to Tropical Storm Flossie hitting the Hawaiian Islands. By the time Flossie had reached Oahu she was a mere shadow of a tropical storm but we heard the rain squalls strike and strong winds from its last breath before dying out. However in calling the wife after we reached Maui, she told me that Flossie did do some damage to the flower garden at which will have to be re-planted when I return.  

I sailed the “Tradewind Route” many times while on the Ka’imimoana. Whenever we completed the “95 line” (95 degrees west longitude from eight degrees south to eight degrees north latitude) we would pull into and spend time in Manzanillo, Mexico. I would place myself at the ManzaGrillo Cantina enjoying domestic Mexican beers, tequilas and assortment of burritos and enchiladas and in some way pretending to be Hemingway in Cuba. The ice cream shop across the street on the corner has the best ice cream in the world. I’m not joking and I have literally had ice cream at different places on the globe. Coming in second would be City Mart in Apia, Samoa or the neighborhood village kiosk near my sister-in-law’s house in Vaitele. While in Mexico I would make it goal to stop where liquor is sold and buy bottles of Monte Alban or Gusoano Rojo and of course Bacardi’s Oro Gold Mexican Rum. I can’t find those here in the islands but when I was in California this past winter I did get a bottle of Monte Albans and consumed it during a President’s Day weekend trip to the Sierras with my brother.

But getting back to sailing the “Tradewind Route”, it was a twelve day trip from Mexico to Hawaii. The swells were evenly timed. The ship would roll steadily five seconds port to starboard and repeat the drill. You could walk down the passageway and count…one thousand and one; one thousand and two, one thousand and three, one thousand and four, one thousand and five and then the ship would roll in the opposite direction. The winds would hit the stern so we had a good tail wind to push us. We couldn’t wait to get back to the islands and when we finally saw Mauna Loa on the Big Island we knew we were a day sailing time away from home. The anxiety would build up and the feet couldn’t wait to be on land.  That night would find us in Waikiki or at any place that were full of activities. Unlike now, home inport stays then were anywhere from ten days to two weeks. We had time to wind down and ready for the next cruise. However, the schedule of the Ka’imimoana demanded that and 60 days at sea meant 60 days at sea! Depending on where you went in between stops would be Kwajalein or Marquises Islands in French Polynesia.

We are sitting off Lahaina in west Maui. When on the weather decks on gorgeous mornings, tourists flying in kites and assortment of boats in the channel where Maui is an ideal vacation spot. Another island on the Hawaiian chain that I have sailed by and seen from the sea but yet to go ashore! Quite an assortment of history in Lahaina, yet this is the closest I have been to it so far. Maybe a “staycation” could be in store in the future. People pay good money to vacation in Hawaii and I’m already here! Most tourists I talk to from the mainland prefer Maui over Oahu. True, you don’t have the mainland style hustle and bustle of Honolulu. However, I like the diversity and selection of ethnic communities, stores and restaurants Oahu has to offer in addition to cultural events such as Obon in the summer and Polynesian festivals that you don’t find and experience on the mainland. We realized this while visiting the Big Island in May. In fact, we thought we had transported ourselves back to the mainland with its wide open spaces, highways and grocery stores dominated by American style foods. Nevertheless, visiting the Volcanoes National Park, Hilo and Kailua-Kona made it a fun four day getaway with plans to go back again.

After having some time off due to graduation and shoulder injury, I can enjoy living the retired life. However, I doubt I would be idle and will be working on a part time basis. My goal is to retire in South Pacific. When I retire I want to retire. Borrowing a title from Michener’s book I will be one of the “Rascals in Paradise.” I won’t be like other expats who renounce their citizenship though. First of all I’m not rich enough! I still want to keep my passport in case I want to come back and pay a visit. Living in Hawaii is a start. I feel we will visit the family on the mainland but to move back and live there, I seriously have my doubts and will do anything to prevent that from happening.

One more week and we head back to Oahu for about six days and then sail out again towards Johnston Island. One more leg after the Johnston cruise and we will be heading towards Midway, and its season over. I’ll be in Oahu for several months of winter inport and time home with the family. However, first thing first and as the Great Buddha said, one step at a time and be concerned about now because the past is gone and the future is not here yet. I have to get by now to be in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews