Thursday, February 26, 2015

Fair Winds and Following Seas

After declining interest and traffic, I decided to end "Chronicles of an Insane Sailor." When I first started this blog years ago, I was writing about my travels on the Hi'ialakai. As time progressed there were not many changes and stories got redundant. Nevertheless, places I wrote about in the past were constantly revisited. I found myself writing narratives that were related in some ways to sailing and how it affected my life. The "Insane Sailor" became an autobiography of an unknown, me, who never played a significant role in the world or in anyone's lives. The blog was drifting off subject because of redundancy. I will keep the posts in a separate file but will not disband the blog altogether. I may start writing when new port calls arise but have my doubts.

I've learned a lot writing for this blog. I have seen my job from a different perspective where in the beginning it was fun, looked forward to waking up in the morning to start the day. I was eager back then to make port calls visiting exotic places. Places I only read about in pages of Jack London or Herman Melville novels were before me and seeing it with my own eyes. I've been to places I know I will never return to and people I met I will never see again. 

Though I am eligible for early retirement, I just may stick around a bit longer until I am forced to leave. My retirement send-off will likely consist of me buying myself a beer and toasting myself at Schooner's alone after work then head home. Most of my counterparts by then will have retired, uninterested or glad to see that the "old man" is gone. Perhaps it may just as festive as signing off this blog

For those who read this blog and people who followed me, thank you for letting me into your lives for that brief moment. I hope there was some success in letting you escape your reality by coming into mine. I wish each and every one of you happiness, stay healthy and have a very goodnight wherever you may be.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews